READY TO HIRE: Strategies to Land a Job
For all future music teachers everywhere, especially members of a PCMEA or NAfME collegiate chapter, we post these handouts from past NAfME and PMEA music teacher conference sessions, all moderated by Scott Sheehan, Immediate Past President of NAfME Eastern Division and Past State President of PMEA.
As a tradition at the annual state conference, the session “Ready to Hire: Interviewing Strategies to Land a Job” has offered “tried & true tips to assist promising music education majors with developing interviewing skills to successfully land their dream job.” One of the features of the clinic is the set-up of a “hot seat” where volunteer candidates are put through one or more questions in a “mock interview,” and then assessed on their “performance.” The guest panelists often distribute a “takeaway” with valuable tips on interview techniques and questions, and developing personal branding, networking, and marketing skills.
These suggestions are offered as a way to “practice” taking employment interviews.
Best wishes on your job search. Now go out there and “nail” the interview!
NAfME Biennial Eastern Division/PMEA State Spring Conference
April 4-7, 2019 in Pittsburgh, PA
Pennsylvania Music Education Association Annual Spring Conference
Older blog-posts at this site:
- Marketing Yourself and Your K-12 Music Certification
- Overview – Strategies for Landing a Music Teacher Job
- The “Alphabet Soup” of Educational Acronyms
- When It Comes to Getting a Job, “S” is for Successful Storytelling!
- Criteria for Selection of the “Ideal” Teacher Candidate
- Blueprint for Success – Preparing for the Job Interview
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Interviewing
- Planning the “Perfect” Professional Portfolio
- Tips on Personal Branding
- All Eyes Are on the Job Resume
- Hints for the Job Search Process
- Interview Questions Revisited
- Networking Niceties
- Those Tricky Interview Questions
- 21st Century Job Search Techniques
- Ethics for Job Seekers
- Body Language & Interviewing for a Job
- inteREVIEWING the situation… and jobs
- Dress for Success at Teacher Interviews
- The Professional Website
- Sue Basalik
- Howard Baxter
- Marc Greene
- Susan Metelsky
- Alicia Mueller
- Henry Pearlberg
- Kathy Sanz
- Scott Sheehan
- Jill Sullivan
- Lucy White
© 2019 Paul K. Fox
All rights reserved by the individual authors of this material