Samples of “Creativity” in Education Journals
In the continuation of this “calling” — my life’s mission on spreading the importance of fostering creativity in education, and finding research (and hands-on) material on the related subjects of innovation, inventiveness, curiosity, flexibility, adaptability, critical thinking, artistry, and self-expression — here is a library of more resources.
The lists below by no means serve as an inclusive or comprehensive bibliography! Some of these articles and authors have been cited before in my past blog-posts. Speaking of which, if you have not read them, take a moment and examine these:
- Creativity in education – Are we ready for a new paradigm shift?
- Creative teaching and teaching creativity – PART I – How creative are you?
- Creative teaching and teaching creativity – PART II – Definitions & rationale
- Creative teaching and teaching creativity – PART III – Creative techniques
- Arts advocacy
- 52 creative tips to “supercharge” the school musical
- Creativity in schools revisited
- More creativity resources
- If I were a school superintendent
- Lessons in creativity
- More lessons in creativity
- Lessons in creativity III
- ESSA, PDE, and lessons in creativity IV
- What is the National Creativity Network?
So, what are you waiting for? Click and go! Get out there and peruse this “content” to your heart’s “content!”
What Started it All…
When I began this blog on creative teaching and learning four years ago, I was initially inspired by the February 2013 issue of ASCD Educational Leadership. I am amazed to find that today many of these articles remain “unlocked” and available via the Internet, although I do not know how long they will remain “free” to nonmembers. (See links below.) Anyone who is interested in further study of imaginative approaches to make learning more interesting and effective (“teaching creatively”) and strategies of teaching that are intended to develop students’ creative thinking or behavior (“teaching for creativity”) should purchase the entire journal or become a subscriber/member of ASCD: http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/feb13/vol70/num05/toc.aspx.
- Perspectives/Who’s Creative by Marge Scherer http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/feb13/vol70/num05/Who’s-Creative%C2%A2.aspx
- Fundamental of Creativity by Ronald A. Beghetto and James C. Kaufman http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/feb13/vol70/num05/Fundamentals-of-Creativity.aspx
- The Art and Craft of Science by Robert Root-Bernstein and Michele Root-Bernstein http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/feb13/vol70/num05/The-Art-and-Craft-of-Science.aspx
- A Recipe for Artful Schooling by Eric Booth (locked)
- Assessing Creativity by Susan M. Brookhart http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/feb13/vol70/num05/Assessing-Creativity.aspx
- The Case for Curiosity by Susan Engel http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/feb13/vol70/num05/The-Case-for-Curiosity.aspx
- The Uncommon Core by Jason Ohler (locked)
- Creativity on the Brink by Alane Starko http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/feb13/vol70/num05/Creativity-on-the-Brink%C2%A2.aspx
- Connecting Creativity to Understanding by Lois Hetland (locked)
Creativity in Music Education from NAfME
Just when I thought I have seen everything, the March 2017 issue of MEJ (Music Educators Journal) arrived in my mailbox. What a joy! The articles on creativity and music education are listed below. Become a member of the National Association for Music Education (NAfME) to receive full access to this journal.
The best introduction and summary to this series is provided by Katherine Strand (first reference below). She poses the challenge, “Ask yourself how you and your students can be more creative in both the classroom and your own lives.”
- MEJ March 2017: Introduction – Looking Forward to a Creative Future by Katherine Strand
- MEJ March 2017: Learning to Be Creatively Expressive Performers by Katherine Strand and Brenda Brenner
- MEJ March 2017: The Neuroscience of Improvisation by Andrew T. Landau and Charles T. Limb
- MEJ March 2017: Music Listening is Creative by John Kratis Brenner
- MEJ March 2017: Developing Musical Creativity Reflective and Collaborative Practices by Lisa M. Gruenhagen Brenner
- MEJ March 2017: Developing Musical Creativity through Improvisation in the Large Performance Classroom by Martin Norgaar
“In the hubbub of everyday teaching, we sometimes forget that each time we look at a child, we are actually looking at the child in the moment as well as the future young adult, the middle-aged working professional, the parent, the grandparent, and the retiree. But that is our job – to see the child as he or she is and also consider what this young person could be and what possible future awaits him or her…
“But what should we pin our hopes on, and what are the positive choices that those who graduate from our schools may have when they leave our music programs? As British author Kenneth Robinson, an international advisor on education in the arts, stated in a 2006 TED talk, we cannot know what futures our students will face, but we do know that they may find a variety of professions and many livelihoods. We hope some of our students will become professional musicians, but realistically, only a small percentage will follow this path. Given that fact, we need to consider how our impact on our students can be broadened – how we may help them reach the best possible futures for themselves.”
— Katherine Strand, Associate Professor of Music and Chair of the Music Education Department in the Jacobs School of Music, Indiana University, Bloomington
Other Contributions from Educational Journals
Finally, I wanted to include a few of these older releases, still very relevant and thought-provoking.
- Kappan November 2013 Visual Thinking Strategies = Critical and Creative Thinking by Mary Moeller, Kay Cutler, Dave Fiedler, and Lisa Weier
- Kappan September 2012 Flunking Innovation and Creativity by Yong Zhao
- Kappan October 2010 Learning to Be Creative
- Kappan June 2002 Test Scores, Creativity, and Global Competitiveness by Gerald W. Bracey
- MEJ May 1990: Creative Thinking in Music by Peter Webster (2 articles)
- MEJ May 1990: What is Creativity? What is it Not? by Alfred Balkin
- MEJ May 1990: Structuring the Music Curriculum for Creative Learning by John Kratis
- MEJ May 1990: Strategies for Fostering Creative Thinking by Janet L. S. Moore
- MEJ May 1990: Crosscultural Perspectives of Musical Creativity by Patricia Shehan Campbell
- MEJ May 1990: Tools and Environments for Musical Creativity by Lyle Davidson
Do you have any “favorite” articles about the pursuit of creativity in the schools? Please feel free to share your recommendations by writing a comment to this blog. Thanks!
© 2017 Paul K. Fox